ABOUT US

In 1942, the Division of Apprenticeship Standards approved the Fresno Area Plumbers, Pipe and Refrigeration Fitters Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee to train apprentices for the Piping Industry. Through the years, the Training Program has seen many changes in the industry and has always provided training in the latest methods used in the industry. Even though the Program would be considered small by some, only 40 apprentices, this has not stopped the advancement of training covering the latest in technology.

The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee is made up of three representatives from management representing the Mechanical Contractors Association and three members from UA Local 246 representing labor. In addition, the Committee has a director of training who carries out the business of the Committee on a day-to-day basis.

Over the years, the Committee has developed a very strict set of Rules and Regulations which are followed and enforced to the fullest. The Rules and Regulations are required because it is not cheap to provide training at no cost to apprentices and this ensures that only those who will be an asset to the Local Union and the Industry will receive the benefits of serving an apprenticeship in the Program.

The premier training programs available in the industry today.

The United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada or “UA” as it is commonly known is a multi-craft union whose members are engaged in the fabrication, installation and servicing of piping systems. There are approximately 340,000 highly-skilled United Association members who belong to over 300 individual local unions across North America.

OUR HISTORY

The rigorously trained and highly skilled members of the United Association of Plumbers, Pipe and Refrigeration Fitters, UA Local 246, are part of the backbone of the Central Valley building industry.

Organized in Fresno in 1901, roughly a generation after the city was founded in 1872, UA Local 246 has played a significant role in the bricks-and-mortar construction of the area from its early days. Few industrial or commercial buildings in this area have been built without the members of UA Local 246 on the job.

 

The organization, founded at the turn of the century with just 10 members, has experienced a growth pattern that reflects the activity of the building industry in the area. In 1908, UA Local 246 had 25 members and sent its first delegate, L.L. Babcock, to the national organization’s annual convention.

On September 28, 1940, parent Local 246 established a branch (Local 246B) consisting of general Pipe Fitters. By 1943, the Fresno group had grown to a solid 157 members. Over the next 17 years, the membership soared dramatically as the post-war years of prosperity brought new construction to the area.

Today, UA Local 246, headquartered at 1303 North Rabe Avenue in Fresno, has 600 members from the four counties it covers in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley – Fresno, Madera, Kings and Tulare.

The key to UA Local 246’s success is the professionalism, experience, expertise and comprehensive training available to apprentices and journey-persons.

One of the many projects that UA Local 246 has played an important part in the construction of is the Balsam Meadows hydroelectric plant at the John S. Eastwood Power Station at Shaver Lake, located 40 miles northeast of Fresno. The successful completion of this Southern California Edison facility, which required the construction team to work at a depth of 1,000 feet, is considered a monument to the talents of the area building industry. Edison publicly recognized UA Local 246 for the superior workmanship and outstanding performance of its members on the project.

1901 Charter Approval

The organization, founded at the turn of the century with just 10 members, has experienced a growth pattern that reflects the activity of the building industry in the area. In 1908, UA Local 246 had 25 members and sent its first delegate, L.L. Babcock, to the national organization's annual convention. On September 28, 1940, parent Local 246 established a branch (Local 246B) consisting of general Pipe Fitters. By 1943, the Fresno group had grown to a solid 157 members. Over the next 17 years, the membership soared dramatically as the post-war years of prosperity brought new construction to the area. Today, UA Local 246, headquartered at 1303 North Rabe Avenue in Fresno, has 600 members from the four counties it covers in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley - Fresno, Madera, Kings and Tulare. The key to UA Local 246's success is the professionalism, experience, expertise and comprehensive training available to apprentices and journey-persons. One of the many projects that UA Local 246 has played an important part in the construction of is the Balsam Meadows hydroelectric plant at the John S. Eastwood Power Station at Shaver Lake, located 40 miles northeast of Fresno. The successful completion of this Southern California Edison facility, which required the construction team to work at a depth of 1,000 feet, is considered a monument to the talents of the area building industry. Edison publicly recognized UA Local 246 for the superior workmanship and outstanding performance of its members on the project. Throughout its history, UA Local 246 had leased office space and held membership meetings at numerous sites throughout the city, including the Union Labor Hall on K Street, the Boiler Tenders Hall, the Moose Temple on Broadway, and for two decades the organization operated on East Shields Avenue. But, in the fall of 1993, UA Local 246 moved into a facility of its own, a new 18,000 square foot building on Rabe Avenue in the Las Palmas Industrial Park. The new facility contains the Union Offices, Meeting Hall and the Training Center. The new facility, costing one and one-half million dollars, was paid for the day the facility opened, thus showing that UA Local 246 reflects the union's long and fruitful history and the organization's future place in the Fresno community and that it expects to remain a critical part of the San Joaquin Valley construction industry. UA Local 246 has a long and successful history and expects to live up to it for a long time to come.

Throughout its history, UA Local 246 has leased office space and held membership meetings at numerous sites throughout the city, including the Union Labor Hall on K Street, the Boiler Tenders Hall, the Moose Temple on Broadway, and for two decades the organization operated on East Shields Avenue. But, in the fall of 1993, UA Local 246 moved into a facility of its own, a new 18,000 square foot building on Rabe Avenue in the Las Palmas Industrial Park. The new facility contains the Union Offices, Meeting Hall and the Training Center. The new facility, costing one and one-half million dollars, was paid for the day the facility opened, thus showing that UA Local 246 reflects the union’s long and fruitful history and the organization’s future place in the Fresno community and that it expects to remain a critical part of the San Joaquin Valley construction industry. UA Local 246 has a long and successful history and expects to live up to it for a long time to come.

In 1901, the ten Charter Members and Early Members of Local 246 were:

E. Brood • Card #15958
A.M. Forrest • Card #15959
Sam Berla • Card #15960
Edward J. Corbett • Card #15961

W.H. Dolzell • Card #15962
B.A. Newman • Card #15963
J.A. McDonald • Card #15964
Jas. H. Puntice • Card #15965

A.W. Gearhart • Card #15966
Jas. E. Cusick • Card #15967

We have the apprentice programs to help you get started.

Apprenticeship is one of the oldest forms of vocational training known to man. It is a mutual investment in human capital by employers, employees, and public agencies. Apprenticeship is a system of training that meets the needs of a particular industry or occupation. The Program sponsor and the employer provide the career training. The apprentice provides potential for becoming a valued skilled member of the employers’ and the nation’s work force.